Some people with eczema may experience no negative effects from swimming (especially if they wash well with emollients and apply moisturisers before and after swimming). However some may experience irritation or drying of their skin.
Here are some practical suggestions courtesy of the National Eczema Society:
· If swimming indoors, apply your usual emollient cream before entering the pool. It is a good idea to put on more cream than you usually would, so that it acts as a good barrier to the water.
· If swimming outdoors, remember that the sun reflects on water and therefore waterproof sun protection will be required. Apply emollients about half an hour before applying sunscreen – this will prevent the sunscreen becoming diluted and ensures that the sunscreen keeps its reflective properties and protects your skin.
· As soon as possible after swimming, shower off using your usual emollient wash. Then apply more leave-on cream than usual.
· If swimming pool water is an irritant, consider going to another swimming pool where different chemicals may be used. Alternatively, try to find a salt-water pool, or swim in fresh or sea water.
· Try to find out when the chlorine is added to the swimming pool and avoid swimming immediately afterwards.
· When trying out a new pool, spend just a short time in the water and see how it goes.
· Avoid swimming if the eczema is flaring badly.
Disclaimer: Information provided is of a general nature only and you should always consult your medical professional
Spring is a beautiful time of the year, warmer weather, flowers in bloom....yet for some, it’s the time of the year where eczema flare ups occur more frequently or intensify. Why? We know the skin has poor skin barrier function, making the person suffering from eczema more susceptible when exposed to environmental irritants/ allergens. Minimising these environmental allergens is hard during spring, but here are some tips courtesy of the Eczema Association of the Australia and our fans:
Kenkay Pharmaceuticals aims to provide products renowned for efficacy, quality and value to the consumer that comply fully with the requirements of statutory authorities.